Lesson Plan: Student Advocacy for Healthy Schools
Students explore how various health factors affect their ability to learn. Then, discuss changes to school policy and how those proposed changes would affect various stakeholders in an educational community as part of simulated public meetings.
Student Advocacy for Healthy Schools
Estimated Lesson Duration: 5 classes
Students will learn how health factors, such as sleep and diet, affect their ability to learn. Students will compare general information with specific data from their age set and assess the degree to which their school supports student health. Using this information, students will consider changes to school policy and determine how those changes would affect various stakeholders in an educational community. The unit concludes with a simulated public meeting to debate each issue.
Key Concepts and Standards
Health effects on learning, data analysis, correlation, causality, significance, meaning, public policy, citizen involvement, debate, advocacy, sleep, sweetened drinks, physical activity
• Read Topic Introductions
• Make internet pathfinder for linked background articles and others that you find to be useful.
• Provide information on school, district, or state policy regarding each issue: Who decides start times? What is the policy on vending machines or cafeteria service? What entity determines the required hours of physical activity?
• Copies of LGH data, worksheet, and stakeholder suggestions & questions.
• Computers with internet access.
Estimated Lesson Duration:
Briefing overview here.
Key Concepts and Standards:
Key Concepts: Content here
Standards: Download the briefing sheet about how this lesson meets standards
- Content here
The standards listed were identified using key concepts from each individual lesson. These key concepts were aligned with the specific Oregon State Standards, Common Core Standards, and Next Generation Science Standards that apply specifically to each individual lesson.
Teachers may consult the Oregon Department of Education’s website for additional terms related to each lesson.
• Content here
Downloadable Lesson and Supporting Materials
- Place here
- Coming soon. All worksheets are contained in the full lesson plan for now.
- Coming soon. All resources are contained in the full lesson plan for now.
Grade Levels: High School, Middle School
Subjects: Health, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies