Lesson Plan: Who did it? – John Doe vs Coronary Heart Disease
Estimated Lesson Duration:
This role play begins with the premise that John Doe died from a heart attack brought on by coronary heart disease. Who and/or what was responsible for this heart attack? This is the question students confront as they evaluate the major risk factors.
Key Concepts and Standards:
Key Concepts: Unhealthy choices can negatively impact our health and result in disease later in life.
Key terms: Unhealthy diet, overweight, high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, coronary, heart disease, coronary artery disease, heart muscle, heart attack, mock trial, saturated fat, trans fat, LDL, sodium, obesity
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.7.3 Analyze the interactions between individuals, events, and ideas in a text (e.g., how ideas influence individuals or events, or how individuals influence ideas or events).
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.8.1 Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 8 topics, texts, and issues, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.8.4 Present claims and findings, emphasizing salient points in a focused, coherent manner with relevant evidence, sound valid reasoning, and well-chosen details; use appropriate eye contact, adequate volume, and clear pronunciation.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RST.6-8.2 Determine the central ideas or conclusions of a text; provide an accurate summary of the text distinct from prior knowledge or opinions.
The standards listed were identified using key concepts from each individual lesson. These key concepts were aligned with the specific Oregon State Standards, Common Core Standards, and Next Generation Science Standards that apply specifically to each individual lesson.
Teachers may consult the Oregon Department of Education’s website for additional terms related to each lesson.
• Print indictment sheets contained in the lesson plan below.
• Organize students into groups of 6 for discussion (see procedures in lesson plan below)
Downloadable Lesson and Supporting Materials
- Coronary Heart Disease Lesson Plan with worksheets embedded (.doc)